Monday, February 18, 2008

My Haitian Girl

I wanted you to meat the newest member of our family. Her name is Kendia and she lives in Haiti.

After following BooMama and Shannon through their trip to Uganda with Compassion International, how could we not choose our own child?

I talked to all the kids about why kids in other areas of the world need sponsors and how it would change that Child’s life.

The kids really got into it. We decided to choose a little girl that was close to my girl’s ages, so it would be more real to them. We told the boys we’d see how it goes and then in a month or two we could choose a boy from the same country who is closer to their ages.

We chose Haiti. It think it hits home with the kids to see how very close Haiti is to America, mere miles of the coast, and yet it is the poorest country in this hemisphere.

We have not gotten our packet about Kendia yet. It will come this week sometime. All I know is this…

Kendia is 7 years old. She lives with her father and her mother. She is responsible for carrying water and running errands. Her father is sometimes employed as a farmer and her mother is sometimes employed as a farmer. There are 2 children in the family.

For fun, Kendia enjoys playing with dolls, hide-and-seek and playing group games. She attends church activities regularly and is in pre-school where her performance is average.




This is the only photo we have of her right now. I simply can’t wait to get to know this little girl. I know the idea is that with just $32 a month my family can change the course of this little girls life, but I have a suspicion she is not the only one who is going to be changed through this experience.

No comments: