Thursday, October 19, 2017

Parade of Crazy



I’m going to be honest with you, the last year has been nutty. I mean, crazy-nutty. It was just one big life altering event after another. I kept thinking, “Okay, after this life will get back to normal.” But then another thing would hit.

Many of these things were good things, but they were all stress inducing. We’re now about halfway through October and I am still sitting here staring at the walls. I’m not sad or depressed, I don’t want to alarm anyone, I’m just worn clean out. I feel like I could crawl in my bed with a good book and not come out until Christmas.

I was chatting with a friend about how exhausted I currently feel and how frustrating it is and she pointed out some of the things that have gone on in the last year. I started thinking about the parade of crazy the last year has been and somehow that made me feel a little better. I mean, all written down like that it IS a lot. (and these are just the highlights!)

People keep asking me what I’m going to do with my time now that I’m not homeschooling anymore and I have no answer for them. I mean, my current goal is to clear off all the homeschooling materials off the bookshelves before May, and maybe fold the basket of towels that's been sitting in front of them for who knows how long. That’s as much as I can plan right now.

But looking at the following list makes me feel like a little rest is okay, perhaps even called for.

I’m going to grab my book now, see y’all around Christmas.

The Parade Of Crazy

September – Baby of the family starts her senior year

October – First child gets married/moves out. Dave learns his job is changing/moving. It’s very ambiguous and scary. Will he even have a job next year??

November – host family Thanksgiving for 22

December - 2 major water leaks in bedroom part of house, Lots of holiday parties and festivities, whole family caught the coughing cold from the dark side.

January – Pipe burst in game room causing a giant water leak, I undergo a major abdominal surgery

February – Surgery recovery. I was drugged, it’s a blur.

March – Gunnar gets engaged, I host giant engagement party for 80-100

April – Senior stuff ratchets up (Show Tunes plays, Gala, Senior Honors nights). My dad gets sick, spends two weeks in the hospital, passes away, funeral. (I had help with my dad stuff with my mom and sister, but I was the legally responsible party for these events since I was the Power of Attorney)

May – Graduation of the baby, effectively ending my 21 year teaching career, host giant graduation party

June – Did we have June this year? I don’t even remember.

July – family vacation to Colorado where Dave ended up in the ER on his way home (I forced him to go practically against his will. Turns out he was having an ocular migraine)

August – Evelyn starts at new 4 year college, Annika starts college

September – wedding prep, Gunnar moves out

October – Gunnar and Kaytlin Get married. Dave starts new job as boss of huge branch, 1 hour away

I am really hoping that the next 12 month’s list consists of something like:

Lots of family get togethers
Holidays are celebrated
Tricia cleans off her bookshelves and folds basket of towels 


That’s it. That’s all I want on next year’s lists. 

No comments: