Monday, February 8, 2010

Is Happily Ever After Really Too Much To Ask?



There is a certain movie out in theaters that shall remain nameless, that is from a book by a very famous contemporary author that shall also remain nameless.

When I saw the reviews for this unnamed movie, I decided it looked sweet as pie, and all happily ever after and I just love that. So I requested the book to read first, because we all know the book is always better than the movie. The book came from the library and I was just about to start on it when something stopped me. Hummmm. This author does have a propensity for drama, and not so happily ever after endings. I’m not a fan of that.

I looked it up on Amazon because I knew someone would spill the beans on the ending. Sure enough. It ends badly. They do not in fact live happily ever after. There is love, separation, angst, sadness, getting back together, separation again, broken hearts and ultimately, a non happily ever after ending.

This book is a bestseller. The movie I’m sure will do VERY well. WHY???? It’s a MADE UP story. The author could have ended it any way he chose. Why not choose happiness?

Okay, I know, I’m being a baby, but really, life can be SO sad sometimes; babies die, hearts get broken, people are damaged. If I want to be sad, all I have to do is look around me and tragedy is lurking in every corner! WHY would I want to be entertained by that??? My entertainment better be darn, chock full of lollypops and rainbows, dadgummit! (ahem, getting a little worked up here. Deep breath.)

It seems that the entertainment industry, I guess in an effort to be edgy? has more and more been giving us endings that are sad, or ambiguous at best. I just really hate this. I don’t want to read a book or go see a movie and be sad or be left hanging. I want Cinderella to get her Prince Charming and ride off into the sunset. Predictable? Yes. But you know what? Real life can be so darn sad and unpredictable sometimes, when it’s pretend and we get to choose our own ending, why not choose happily ever after?

I will not be reading the unnamed book, nor going to see the unnamed movie. Jane Austin, where are you when I need you?


Update! In the comments, I do say what movie/book I'm referring too. Also, I have been told that the ending of the movie has been changed from the book and that I would like the end of the movie, so I think I'll give it a try. I've been assured I'll get my happily ever.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Totally with you.
And just a heads up...you'll probably want to avoid the George Clooney movie "Up in the Air."

Halfmoon Girl said...

Ha, Melanie, I was thinking the same thing. That movie made me think, but it was kinda hollow as well. Tricia, I am so with you on this! I want a happy ending too! I avoid all Oprah books, as I find that in order to be considered for her book club, the book has to be disturbing and sad. I don't like my movies that way either! I am curious to know what movie you are talking about. Do you still have my email???

Tricia said...

I was referring to the Dear John book/movie. Though I have since learned that they altered the end and the movie does not end like the book.

I don't know exactly how the Dear John movie ends, but those who know me have told me I'd like the movie. ;)

jenni said...

Reminds me of one of my favorite all-time stupid, ridiculous teen flicks "The Pirate Movie". The bad guys are winning and the main character (who is indeed dreaming the whole silly thing) stands up and says "It's MY dream! I want a happy ending! I WANT A HAPPY ENDING!!"

and she gets it. and I LOVE IT. Because it's just what the world needs, dadgummit.

Hen Jen said...

I agree, Tricia. I get upset if a movie ends badly, when I am satisfied, my dh calls it a "Jenny ending". It doesn't always have to be perfect ending, but at least satisfying. Sometimes I get so mad that afterward I make up my own happy ending.

If a book is on Oprah's book list, I won't read it, learned my lesson there!