Friday, August 21, 2009

Selective Services



My first baby turned 18 a few weeks ago. I am still coming to terms with it. If he is 18 that means it would be weird for me to still be 29. I'm not really good with the numbers, but I think it means I might have to start admitting to being ever so slightly over 29. This, I do not like.

When The Teenager Who is Now an Adult went in to renew his drivers licence, he also took the opportunity to register to vote and sign up for the Selective Services as his dad told him was his civic responsibility.

Huh?

The registering to vote thing I am familiar with. We have talked much about it in this house. I have taken my kids with me to vote. We are very civic minded around here. But what is this thing you call Selective Services??? Seriously, I'd NEVER heard of it.

Excerpts from the Army Website Re: Selective Services

WHAT IS SELECTIVE SERVICE REGISTRATION?
Registration is the process by which the US government collects names and addresses of men age 18 through 25 to use in case a national emergency requires rapid expansion of the Armed Forces. Not registering is a felony.

WHO MUST REGISTER
With few exceptions, all male US citizens and male immigrant aliens residing in the US and its territories must register within 30 days of their 18th birthday.


Dude!

How'd I get to be a 29 year old citizen of the United States of American not know this?

Apparently I'm not as civic minded as I thought and also??? NOT really happy that my adult child baby is officially on the government's list to be drafted should the need arise...specifically under the current administration, who has not heretofore been known for their rational thinking...

Although I am eternally grateful to those AMAZING men and women who voluntarily serve in our armed forces. A more heroic group you'll not find. But when suddenly it's MY baby...and they use the word draft... It makes me feel a little gitchy...and nervous...and I wish I could zap him back to 5 when I could keep him from any and all danger...not to mention it was way easier for me to pass for 29 back then.


No comments: