Thursday, September 4, 2008

A few things.

Yesterday Bob and I went out to the eye doctor. I, to get contacts so I can have a little break from glasses, lest I develop a permanent indent on my nose; and Bob to get checked for the first time. (I know, I know! What kind of horrible mother waits to take her kid to the eye doc until he’s 14?)

I learned a few things.

While I do have slightly elevated pressure in my eyes (whatever that means) I do not have glaucoma, yippee!

Contacts have come a long way in 5 years. I can already wear these contacts for 5 hours, which beats my previous record of 4 hours before I rip the things out of my eyes in despair and discomfort.

Bob has healthy eyes, though he is farsighted like me. He needs reading glasses. That is how it starts. It only goes downhill from there, but I hate to discourage the kid so I let him believe in the ‘only reading glasses’ line they feed you at the eye doc.

We then went to the Most Hated Place to get some groceries.

Walmart is like Hell only with air conditioning. I know I have said this before, but really! Bob and I went there to get a cartful of food that will probably last 2.3 seconds in this house. My hip was in so much pain I was leaning over the cart like an old lady. Nice.

Bob was such an amazing help. I would point, while leaning over the cart, and say “popcorn, please” and he would grab the popcorn and put it in the cart. I’m sure it was loads of fun for this teenage boy to be at Walmart with his limping, wincing mother. But he handled it with all the grace and mercy his 14 year old self could muster. It was a proud moment.

I thanked him by getting his hair cut while we were there. At the Walmart. He was, interestingly enough, not terribly pleased with the idea. But I would have died right there in the Salon de Walmart, if we’d had to go anywhere else but home. And the haircut looks nice, I don’t care what anyone else says!

Today, co op started. All the kids went to their classes and I did not. It was weird to drop my kids and not stay to teach. But because just looking at those stairs leading to my old classroom made me weep in horror, it was probably a good thing.

Next week AWANA starts and so does Scottish Rite for Ann. By Monday of next week we will be at full operating capacity for this year’s school adventure.

It only get’s crazier from here folks.


1 comment:

Halfmoon Girl said...

Hope your hip is feeling better. Our schedule is starting to get busy around here too- must be hard when you are feeling so unwell.