Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Getting Honest

I admit to you all that I am finding the teen years a little bit tricky. I am wading in unfamiliar waters. I am a bit adrift.

When I found out I was pregnant with Will, I read everything I could get my hands on about pregnancy and babies and toddlers. I soaked it all in. I learned. I prepared. I knew what to do.

When Will reached school age, I read up on all options; homeschool, public school, private school and everything in between. I made informed decisions based on all the information I obtained.

But the teen years? I am finding them somewhat confusing. There are many Christin people, 'experts' if you will, who have advice but so much of it is conflicting. I guess this was the case with all the info on how to raise babies, but I don't know, so much of taking care of my babies was intuitive to me. I just seemed to feel what was good advice and what was bad.

I don't have that intuitive feeling with the teens. I feel like I am doing it all wrong, honestly. I feel like my years to teach, train, and love my children are coming to a quick end and I don't feel like I have done it right.

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the 'how to's' of parenting really, for the first time in my life.

So that was my state of mind when I read this, by Sally Clarkson. She is so eloquent and encouraging.

Go on over there. Read this. You'll feel better.


No comments: