Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Do we need a christening to go with the names?

I have decided to change my kids’ names. Not in real life, I think that would scar them to much, just here in the blogisphere.

B will heretofore be known as Will. There is a funny story about this choice but that will have to wait.

G will heretofore be knows as Bob.

Now I can tell you the funny story. Both the boys were Veggie Tale fans. They were a bit old when Veggie Tales came out, but because they had little sisters they were forced to watch anyway. Well, D and I started calling the boys Bob and Larry after a while, I have no idea why but it made them laugh so we did it. Eventually we just called them Bob, because they thought we were nuts and we did not want to correct them. Then one day B (now Will) came to my door and knocked. I asked him, through the door, what he needed, thinking he’d just come in. He began to tell me whatever he needed through the door and I could not hear him so I said, “Come in, will ya?”

He opened the door and said, “Mom, did you just call me William?” He was used to being called his given name and occasionally Bob, but William was new. We had a good laugh, and then I started calling him William; because it made him laugh and roll his eyes at his Crazy Mom. I do what I can to perpetuate the myth.

So there you have it, Will and Bob, my boys.

Now for the girls.

E will heretofore be known as Eve. Nothing fancy, just a take off of her real names.

A will heretofore be known as Ann, same thing, just part of her real names.

Now a cutsie internet name for D. He has so many names already. He goes by D___ in real life and H____ (his middle name) at work because there are too many D___’S where he works. Since he’s been at his job for about 16 years he’s developed quite an alter ego. I hate to give him another one. It could be hazardous to his mental health to have so many splits in his personality. However, it is getting confusing referring to him by one letter all the time. I think I’ll have to risk it and find another alias for him.

Edited to add...

Okay, I've got it! It came to me in a dream. Okay, not really it came to me after my second cup of coffee. Sir D! Since I have knighted him I should call him Sir! So Sir D it is.

2 comments:

Halfmoon Girl said...

I was going to suggest Lancelot, but Sir D is good too. I know what you mean about initials- I need to come up with some names for my kids too.

Grandmother Goddess of the Garden said...

I like Sir D, it's easier...I have often wondered about privacy with blogging (which is why I use initials or their family "camp" names) If you have the time maybe you could fill me in on the privacy issue. Thanks for stopping by my blog, by the way...and for finally finding the "tag".