Thursday, June 26, 2008

Easy Man-Food!

Big Mama was just expressing her displeasure at cooking in Texas in the summer. Because we do it outside all day, who wants to do in inside?

And bless her heart, she lives even further south in hell Texas than I do.

She has asked us to post our favorite summertime meals to help her out.

Summertime meals really are a problem for me. I want something light and cool and cooked by someone else. Sadly my men want meat, with meat sides and meat dessert. No chick food for them.

Here is one of my favorite solutions. This recipe is a very easy one and the men love it. I love it because it does not heat up my kitchen.

I pick up some potato salad to go with it. I suppose you could actually make potato salad, but that would negate the whole not heating up the kitchen thing, since you have to boil the eggs and potatoes. Boiling water = too much work heat for me.

Here you go, try it out and tell me what you think.

Crock-pot French Dip Sandwiches

Ingredients

1 beef chuck roast (about 3 lbs.)
2 cups water
1/2 cup soy sauce (use low sodium or you’ll be sorry!)
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 bay leaf
3-4 whole peppercorns
8 French rolls, split

Directions
Place roast in crock-pot. Add water, soy sauce, and seasonings. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until beef is tender. Remove meat from broth; shred with forks and keep warm. Strain broth; skim off fat. Pour broth into small cups for dipping. Serve beef on rolls. Makes 8 servings


Tricia

4 comments:

Posh Mama said...

That sounds really good, and I have some men here who would appreciate it!

Renna said...

Yum, I can't wait to try it! I know my guys would like it, and so would I. :-)

Big Mama had a great idea today, huh? ;-)

Kelsey S said...

Oh that sounds wonderful thanks for sharing!

Kelsey
mysweetlife.org

Jamie said...

Sounds great, I'll give it a try. I've got some guys at my place that would love it!