Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Oh So Sweet!

I made some quick bread last night. I like to make quick bread because it’s, well, quick, and the kids and Sir D love it. Sadly it also disappears quickly.

I doubled the recipe last night and this is what is left today. I must say here that my crew did not eat it all. I did send some with Sir D this morning to work. I have done that several times. Sir D has taken over the Arlington branch and he is making some changes. Overall they will be good, but change is always hard.

Before Sir D came onboard it was a bit of a free-for-all. Sir D is not fond of the free-for-all.

He has had to outline job descriptions and the chain of authority. He has had to have some hard and awkward conversations. He very possibly will have to fire some people.

But the thing is, he is giving everyone there every opportunity to prove to him that they can do the job. He told everyone all slates are wiped clean. Everyone gets a new opportunity with the new boss. Past sins are gone.

So while he’s changing things and stressing everyone out, I’m killing them with kindness…sweets to be exact.

I’ve sent cookies several times and quick breads too. I have also planted pretty flowers out in front of the building. A little beauty and a little sugar go a long way.

So here is the recipe for my Blueberry Orange Bread. It is great for bribery or buying people’s love. I am not above those things.

Blueberry Orange Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons butter, cut up
1/4 cup boiling water
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup fresh (or frozen) blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease one loaf pan. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients and make a well in center. Stir butter into boiling water until melted.

In a medium bowl, combine egg, sugar, and orange juice then stir in water/butter mix. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moist. Fold in blueberries. Spoon in greased pan and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and cool completely on a rack.

(Frozen blueberries work just fine in this recipe but they may "bleed" when you fold them into the batter. It still takes great!)


I did make a few changes. I used oil instead of butter so my dairy allergy kid could have it. I think next time I make it I’ll cut down on the sugar (it’s really sweet) and use a cup or two of wheat flower.

Enjoy, and please use the power of the Blueberry Orange Bread for good and not evil.


Tricia

1 comment:

Halfmoon Girl said...

That is what I would do in this situation too- bake and plant flowers. Good job! Hope all goes well for Sir D with the restructuring.