Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Stuff of Legends

*****If you have not seen this movie and want to be surprised, click away now. I will spoil it for you and I don't want to do that. Really I don't. So go on, go away until you have seen it, then come back here and read this. Or you can go ahead and read it and be upset, but don't say I didn't warn ya!*****

A month or so ago my teenage sons started nagging me about watching some ‘Legend’ movie. They had heard good things…it’s only pg-13…can we? Please Mom? Can we? Can we? Can we?

So I got on Netflix and requested it for Sir D and I to preview. I’m sorry but most Pg-13 movies are not appropriate for my 13 year old or his 16 year old brother. Heck, they’re not usually appropriate for me.

Once it got here, I read the case. Oh, boy. Zombies. I HATE zombies, or really, any kind supernatural in nature kind of thriller. Now give me a good spy flick and I’m happy. Jason Bourne? Jack Ryan? Love it! The Undead? Notsomuch.

So last night Sir D and I got comfy on the couch and turned on the creepy movie. (The sacrifices I make for my kids!)

I must say…I was shocked. I think Will Smith said damn a few times when he was about to be devoured by some icky undead things (can ya blame him?), but other than that, NO BAD LAUGUAGE. Also, NO nudity. None. The camera did not even quickly pan over someone’s cleavage or some scantily clad girl on a billboard. NOT ONE THING.

Then- and this was the most shocking thing in all the movie, it was even more shocking than the Leader of the Undead jumping out from the dank corner to attack Will Smith in a dark warehouse- they prayed in the movie. Not like a ‘dear higher power who may or may not exist’ or a pious ‘Oh Holy Father in heaven who is to great for us mortals’ but a real prayer. Almost like the kind of prayer I would pray; a prayer of safety for a husband who was going to be left behind to save the world. (Sir D does a lot of world-saving, just so ya know.)

Then at the end ***Spoiler coming*** Will Smiths character gives his life to save human kind. Just like that. He saw only one way to save all of mankind and it required him to sacrifice his life to save others.

It was almost like a hero tale from ye olden days.

Now, don’t get me wrong. It was an icky, creepy, scary, yucky, zombie movie. But it was a CLEAN icky, creepy, scary, yucky, zombie movie with a great message.

Who woulda thunk it?

And just as a side note…I had zombie nightmares last night, but I did not go climb in bed with my parents because, well, I am the parent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't that a good movie?! I agree, it was surprising and even more surprising that I liked it (Not a zombie movie person either). Although, I was (spoiler alert) upset that he died in the end. I kept saying "Oh but couldn't he have done this??" REALLY upsetting.

Today we were discussing cancer and my son (the only one of our children allowed to watch the movie..D-13) asked about a cure the first thing Mike said was "Didn't you pay ANY attention at all when you watched "I am Legend"? We don't want to cure cancer or we'll have zombies to deal with..."

Yeah, we are such good parents.