Monday, May 26, 2008

Your Virtual Lunch Is On Me

Today is a day to remember. A day to say thank you to those who’ve made it their life’s work to keep our country safe.

A few years ago my friend and I were escaping our children having lunch together at a local restaurant. We saw a table of Army Reservist nearby. We ate our lunch, they ate their lunch. All was well.

My friend and I were deep in a very important conversation, or not, when we saw something that still makes me smile and be ashamed of myself at the same time.

There was an older couple nearby who were also enjoying their lunch. When it was time for them to go they called the waiter over and talked to him for a minute, then they talked to the manager for a minute. This little old couple was in my direct line of sight so I caught the whole exchange and I have to admit I was curious as to what was going on.

They got worked out whatever was their problem, paid, and left the restaurant.

A few minutes later the Army guys asked for their check. They were also in my direct line of sight, but on the other side of the dining room.

The manager came up to their table and told them that their meals had been paid for by another diner, who would like to remain anonymous. He handed them a little note that I am assuming said something along the lines of…

“Thank you for making it your life’s work to keep our country safe.”

I couldn’t agree more, and I am ashamed I don’t say enough myself.

Thank you, men and women of our Armed services, for making it your life’s work to keep our country safe.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

What an amazing story. And you know many older people live on very tight budgets. Their gift was probably a true sacrifice, and that speaks volumes. Thank you for sharing.

Renae said...

This story brings tears to my eyes. Sometimes the small things mean the most.

Peace to you,
Renae
Life Nurturing Education