Thursday, October 2, 2008

Do they make a mouth guard for this?

I went to pick up Ann after her dyslexia class yesterday. All the teachers bring the students out into a small lobby area and all the parents wait in there to pick them up.

When Ann’s teacher, a sweet black lady about my age (exceptionally young, ahem) came out, I noticed she had a new hair cut. It looked very nice on her and what woman does not want her new hair style to be noticed and appreciated?

Um, the kind wearing a wig.

Yes, yes I did.

I walked right up to her and said “Hay, new hair! I like it.” Not “What a lovely hair cut you have.” Or “very nice new hair style.” No, I said ‘New hair.’ Because I have a possibly fatal case of Foot in Mouth Disease.

I have to say that I didn’t know she was wearing a wig. Really, I promise. Ann pointed it out to me on the way home.

When she told me I replayed the conversation in my head and realized why Ann’s teacher seemed less than pleased for me to comment on her new hair in a room full of people.

I should not be let out in public without supervision.


2 comments:

Happy Mommy said...

Well its only really bad if she had a disease that caused her to lose her hair or cancer or something.... I mean if you have really short hair and chose to wear a wig people are gonna notice so it might not be as bad as you thought... is it that bad?

Tricia said...

I am happy to report that as far as I know, she does not have any kind of disease.

I'm not even %100 sure it was a wig, but Ann is and it would explain the strange response to my comment.

Now every time I see her I'm going to have to force myself not to stare at her hair/wig in wonder.

Just what I needed, more possibilities for social missteps! :o)