Friday, October 31, 2008

We're Taking Over!



I know the above photo is a little off color, but it made me laugh my head off! I think my sense of humor might be sick and twisted.

And since we’re on the subject of Halloween, (we were, really) I have to say there has been a trend lately, a good one. Have you noticed how the churches are PACKED on Halloween? The irony there is beautiful. Last year at the trunk or treat at my church we had to turn people away towards the end of the evening because there was simply no place left to park!

We had ghouls and goblins and several Brittany Spears look-alikes and witches and vampires etc. Some might be unhappy to see little ghouls running around their church, but I was oh-so pleased. These were unchurched kids and families who possibly have never heard the gospel message. These little Brittney Spears wanna-be’s were sitting in my church watching a puppet show telling them how much Jesus loves them and wants to know them. How we’re all sinners and have fallen short of the glory of God, but don’t be dismayed! Jesus made a way! It makes me so proud of my church (and I need all the help I can get!). People want to celebrate Halloween, but want a safe place for their children to do it. So where do they go? The local church.

Maybe, if they were received with open arms and felt welcomed and not judged even though their daughter was a little vampish and their son was a goblin, perhaps, when things get hard in their lives they’ll remember that church down the street and how safe and loving it was.

It makes my heart sing do drive down the street on Halloween and see the streets practically empty of trick or treaters and the church parking lots full to overflowing! The church is taking over Halloween! I LOVE It!



No comments: