Tuesday, October 7, 2008

To Quote Chicken Little...

I thought about writing about the yummy taco soup I made last night, or the fact that my 14 year old son has decided he wants to look into becoming a Fireman or a Police man. Just what every mother wants to hear; that her son has decided go into a profession where he’ll either be required to run into burning buildings or get shot at.

I could write about the fact that my girls would rather have a messy room than play with their friends or watch TV. I know this because they cannot do either until it’s clean, and they are not cleaning it.

I could write about the fact that I’m making real headway on my book which is exciting, though somewhat disturbing since all I can think about is my characters and what they are doing and what they will do etc, and you know, that’s disturbing because they don’t actually exist.

But I’m not going to write about any of those things because there is something bigger that has me just a little freaked out. Normally I don’t listen to the Chicken Little types who run around telling you that the Sky is falling. There all the same, those types that spread fear.

The thing is though, this time it’s not the fear monger types that are running around yelling ‘The Sky Is Falling!’ It’s financial conservatives and liberals alike. ‘Economic Experts’ like the economics editorial writer for The Wall Street Journal and president of Euro Pacific Capital and author of Crash Proof: How to Profit from the Coming Economic Collapse and other big smart important people I used to ignore.

One lady asked if the thousand dollars she had stashed in a federal credit union was safe. The expert replied that yes it was. Even if the bank failed there are safeguards in place to make sure you will get your thousand dollars out, and then you’ll be able to go buy a tank of gas with it, so great will be the devaluation of our dollar.

They were actually saying it might be a good idea to stock up on non perishable food items while you’re money is still worth something.

I don’t mind saying people, I’m gonna have to stop watching the news because while I have not yet seen the effects of this mess that Washington has made, I’m told that hurt is a-commin’ and it’s starting to freak me out.

Perhaps it’s time to go to Wal-Mart and stock up on TP and canned veggies.


1 comment:

Amanda said...

I don't know if it's been the same in your area, but since our gas prices have begun going down, I've noticed some of the groceries in my Wal-Mart following suit. I bought milk for $2.50 a gallon, where it had been nearly $3.50 or more. Maybe there's hope! :)