Monday, January 14, 2008

Tea For Me, A Fish or Two For You.

I’m going to start off by showing you the cup of tea I am drinking right now.

Usually I drink a cup of tea in the afternoon, a little pick me up to make it through dinner and the bed time routine.

But yesterday was a day and half, and today was, well…here is the cup of tea. This is my Super-Sized, only gotta make it a few more hours, mug.

I had to drive the Scottish Rite run today, taking 4 children downtown for their dyslexia remediation. In order to keep the kids calm, quiet, and entertained, we listened to The Incredible Worlds of Wally McDoogle: My Life As a Broken Bungee Cord. I think four unquiet, uncalm, and unentertained kids would have been easier to tolerate. Charlotte Mason must have been rolling over in her grave.

Then when we got home, because I am a glutton for punishment, I took G, E and A to the local pet store for yet another try at fish ownership. I think if we kill these fish I am going to have find a new supplier, as this one is starting to wonder what we are actually doing with these fish. I think he is imagining some sort of cult rituals or black market fish operation. Sadly, the truth is much less glamorous. We stink at pet ownership as I have previously stated.

So, this is what we got. Betas. Betas are the easiest fish to own. The pet stores themselves keep them in little tiny containers barely big enough for these fish to turn around in. It’s sad really. I feel strongly that even if we do kill these fish, I can at least say we allowed them to live out their final days in paradise as opposed to the tiny cramped quarters they were subject to at the pet stores.

Surely the fish understand, right? I’m only trying to improve their quality of life, even if it is a short one.

3 comments:

Tonya said...

Haven't you asked E for help? She's a fish guru! She convinced us to get a beta. The 1st one died within 24 hours. The 2nd one is, unfortunately, still with us. What is the point? It moves so rarely that everyone thinks it is dead! Our cat likes to drink the water, so we have to keep ugly aluminum foil on top of the fish bowl. He sits on my kitchen counter. Die already. Die! Oh, did I say that?

My theory on pets - ignore them, neglect them, they will survive. We have a bearded dragon that has been around since 2003. Neglected. Alive. Fish, 1-1/2 years. Neglected. Alive.

Halfmoon Girl said...

We have one- only because someone showed up on our doorstep to give it to us. This one is pretty hardy, so hopefully yours will be too!

I like me a big mug of tea too!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, you just might inspire me to try one of these little fish ourslelves. I too, stink at keeping fish. The last batch we killed was because we kept the tank TOO CLEAN. Go figure. ;)